Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Ghost from Halloween Past


     I was thinking back on a funny story from my childhood. Let’s travel back to October of 1998, and there I was about to turn 4 years old and my mom made my Halloween costume. My mom by the way don’t sew so yes that is a pillowcase over my head. In addition she didn’t want to cut wholes in it so she taped on googly eyes and pom poms to make the face. One thing I do remember is that I was not being able to see at all, and I walk into some walls. But let’s get back into the real story.

    I have said before how I sort of grew up in a flower shop, because of that quite a few of my mom’s coworkers because like a extended family to me. So I don’t have memory of this exact conversation I had with the one florist designer however I have been told it me my entire life.


    She apparently asked me what I was going to be for Halloween that year. By the photo you I think you can tell that I was a ghost that year. In my naiveness at that age as well as not knowing in the moment the simple noun to describe my costume I said something really funny. So what did I say?


    Because the word “ghost” wasn’t in my vocabulary I described it to her as what sounded I though a ghost makes. I didn’t go with the classic “boo” but instead when the more dramatic moaning “hoo!” Only with the speech problem I had as well as the fact that I did not yet learn how “hoo” would be proper pronounced it came out very differently.


    I pronounce “hoo” as just “ho” which has is a very different meaning... especially coming out of a toddler mouth!


    After I told her I was going as a “ho” she about fell over laughing, and understandably so. Since she already know the answer to her own question before asking me she chose to ask me a different way after composing herself. She asked what does a “ho” say so then since I even back then  had a thing for the dramatics I did my best impersonation and acted out the scene and said and did a ghostly moaning “hoo.” 


Happy Halloween!

Yours truly,

Nicklas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello 27!

  Another year older and another year wiser! Yours truly, Nicklas