Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Creating A On Suite



    When dealing with a old house you may find there are sometimes hurdles one has to figure out to respectfully adapt for the home for modern living. Sometimes we have to cannibalize another room or alter the floor plan to create our vision. In my case I was fortunate that in the early 1910s someone already though to create a foot print that has plenty of space to be reimagined into a master suite. At that time they turned two bedroom into one giant room and had a clothes storage room that would of housed big hoop skirts and other bulkier fashion of the mid to late 19th century. By the 1920s the second floor porch was also enclosed adding more square footage to this wing of the house.

    Over the years this space has seen many changes, by the time I purchased the home someone had added a bathroom in the enclosed porch area and a laundry room in the clothes storage room. What I decided to do was to keep the bathroom in the same area however change the layout for better flow, and I tore out the laundry room and knocked down the cubical walls for a spacious dressing room closet. Now I have had many surprises and have had to adapt the design quite a few times but I am finally in a position where the reassemble part is finally coming into play! With the help of my mom I have built custom cabinetry to go with the salvaged vintage cabinet I found. All the tile is in and the gallons of paint are on the shelves. Plumbing fixtures are awaiting their chance to be taken out of the box and provide that final bit of character.

Yours truly,

Nicklas


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello 27!

  Another year older and another year wiser! Yours truly, Nicklas