Friday, December 11, 2020

It’s all in the details...






 Over the past few years, I have learned a few different tricks to make home restoration easier. One of  my favorite ones is actually quite simple. In the lifetime of a home or antique piece things are obviously bound to get painted, and of course they have to paint everything including the hardware.


So don't mess around with harsh chemicals when the simplest way is to just throw the metal hardware into boiling water and let it boil off. After a little soak all you have to do is take a wire brush to them and your done! Sometimes I will say they have to go in for a second dip in the water depending on what paint was used. ONLY USE A POT YOU DON'T COOK FOOD IN... THE PAINT COULD BE LEAD BASED, AND FROM EXPERIANCE THE PAINT CAN FUSE ITSELF TO THE POT!


But I am personally a huge fan of seeing hardware whether it is on a traditional style or on a modern aesthetic. It is always so rewarding to put on that last piece of jewelry on a design, and it should come as no surprise for me to say I alway love use vintage hardware when I can. I find that they are just so unique and one of a kind not to mention the testimony to the quality of these handcrafted pieces that they are still working strong after so many years. The brass hinges are off of a door I went and salvaged for my dressing room from one of those old company house that belonged to a local paper mill from the turn of the 20th century. But the latch is about 170 years old...



BEFORE


AFTER


The amount of detail that had been hidden away is astonishing. This latch is original to a circa 1850 French armoire that I am going to be using as my TV stand in my living room.



Please ignore the horribly painted purple accent wall, it is thankfully gone now and is just a distant memory of my living room when I purchased the house. However, this is what this cabinet looked like when I fell in love with it. Even with all the broken hand blown glass and its missing foot it is still gorgeous, and just wait to see it once it is all reassembled and fully restored!


Yours truly,

Nicklas




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello 27!

  Another year older and another year wiser! Yours truly, Nicklas